In keeping with the spirit of the times. Here is a speedily knocked together list of the albums released within the last ten years which I consider the finest. This list supercedes all previously published lists, including this one.
1. Arcade Fire – Funeral
2. Joanna Newsom – Ys
3. Fiery Furnaces – Blueberry Boat
4. Radiohead – Kid A/Amnesiac
5. Godspeed You Black Emperor! – Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
6. The Strokes – Is This It
7. Boards of Canada – Geogaddi
8. Sufjan Stevens – Illinoise
9. Animal Collective – Strawberry Jam
10. Aphex Twin – Drukqs
11. Four Tet – Rounds
12. Napoleon IIIrd – In Debt To
13. Radiohead – In Rainbows
14. Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavillion
15. Bright Eyes – I’m Wide Awake It’s Morning
16. The Knife – Silent Shout
17. Fennesz – Venice
18. Delgados – Great Eastern
19. LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver
20. Low – Things We Lost in the Fire
21. The National – Boxer
22. Broadcast – The Noise Made By People
23. Jim O’Rourke – Insignificance
24. Sonic Youth – Murray Street
25. Max Tundra – Parallax Error Beheads You
26. Battles – Mirrored
27. TV On The Radio – Dear Science
28. Clinic – Internal Wrangler
29. Of Montreal – Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
30. Mat Riviere – Follow Your Heart
i) Yes I have counted Kid A and Amnesiac as a single album. They are inseperable in my mind. Individually they are patchy. Taken as a whole they are sublime. Shut up.
ii) I don’t care what you think the Sufjan Stevens album is actually called
iii) I know the Mat Riviere album isn’t out yet. But I’ve had it for months and by the time I’m able to include it in next year’s ‘best of year’ list I’ll have forgotten.
iv) The only truly difficult decision in compiling this list was whether ‘Funeral’ was better than ‘Ys’ – really you can’t compare the two sensibly.
v) Yes I do genuinely think the Napoleon IIIrd album is better than all those other albums.
vi) Yes I have almost certainly forgotten about the existence of some albums which i would have included. Leave me alone.
Tags: pointless lists